Cisco Meraki Virtual Hackathon: Unlocking Your Inner Creativity
It has never been more important to help our customers provide simple, secure, reliable internet access from anywhere. It is critical for them to find ways to differentiate themselves and provide added value for their services. Meraki invites you to be a visionary, pioneer and leader in our first ever Global Virtual Meraki Hackathon. The path to greatness requires a strong adversary.
- How will retail and hospitality customers operate in the future when it is unclear clear of what the path to success could be?
- How does one find new ways to connect in smart spaces and propel engagement with end customers and tenants?
- How do you meet the future requirements of manufacturing and healthcare environments in a post COVID-19 world?
- How will an IT operation empower an organization from the ground up?
What is the focus of the Global Virtual Meraki Hackathon?
Challengers will have an opportunity to showcase their prowess using Meraki and additional Cisco technologies including Stealthwatch, Duo, Umbrella, WebEx Teams, and AppDynamics or one of our Ecosystem Partners to solve our customers’ challenges in:
- Retail and Hospitality
- Smart Spaces
- Healthcare and Manufacturing
- IT Operations
Create an app, API integration, or tool to help transform how our customers will solve their business solutions in the future.
Who is Meraki?
Cisco Meraki, the industry leader in cloud-managed IT, creates the simplest, most powerful solutions helping everyone from small businesses to global enterprises save time and money.
Founded in 2006, Meraki was born out of a desire to simplify an industry that had become increasingly inflexible and complex, leaving many behind. Meraki technology, managed from an intuitive, feature-rich interface, enables organizations to rapidly roll out digital initiatives, delivering real business value.
Backed by a wealth of networking data and insights, Meraki helps you get things done, so you can do more.
Meraki Unboxed Podcast Highlight (6)
Meraki Blog Feature (6)
Meraki Community Promotion (6)
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
1. Eligibility Requirements
- The Hackathon is open to teams (“Teams”) of 4 to 6 IT professionals currently employed by and representing an authorized Cisco Meraki reseller or service provider (each a “Partner”).
- Each Team member must be at least the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence and have the permission of the applicable Partner to participate in the Hackathon and accept the prizes described below if awarded to such Team.
- Team members are solely responsible for informing the applicable Partner of their participation in the Hackathon, and compliance with any applicable laws, contractual limitations and procedures established by the Partner related to their participation.
- If a Team is entering the Hackathon, they must appoint and authorize one (1) individual (the “Representative”) to represent, act, and enter a Submission (defined below), on their behalf. The Representative must meet the eligibility requirements above. By entering a Submission on the Hackathon Website on behalf of a Team you represent and warrant that you are the Representative authorized to act on behalf of your Team.
- The Hackathon is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
2. Ineligible Participants The Hackathon is not open to:
- Individuals who are residents of, or Teams representing Partners domiciled in, a country, state, province or territory where the laws of the United States or local law restricts participating or receiving a prize in the Hackathon (including, but not limited to, Brazil, Quebec, and Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria, Myanmar (Burma), Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and any other jurisdiction designated by the United States Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control).
- Organizations involved with the design, production, paid promotion, execution, or distribution of the Hackathon, including the Poster and Administrator (“Promotion Entities”)
- Employees, internally contracted vendors of Poster and/or Administrator, representatives and agents** of such organizations, and all members of their immediate family or household*
- Any other individual involved with the design, production, promotion, execution, or distribution of the Hackathon, and each member of their immediate family or household*
- Any Judge (defined below), or company or individual that employs a Judge
- Any parent company, subsidiary, or other affiliate*** of any organization described above
- Employees or internally contracted vendors of governments and government-affiliated companies or organizations
- Any employee whose employer’s guidelines or regulations do not allow entry into the Hackathon or acceptance of the prize(s)
- Any other individual or organization whose participation in the Hackathon would create, in the sole discretion of the Poster and/or Administrator, a real or apparent conflict of interest
*The members of an individual’s immediate family include the individual’s spouse, children and stepchildren, parents and stepparents, and siblings and stepsiblings. The members of an individual’s household include any other person that shares the same residence as the individual for at least three (3) months out of the year.
**Agents include individuals or organizations that in creating a Submission to the Hackathon, are acting on behalf of, and at the direction of, a Promotion Entity through a contractual or similar relationship.
***An affiliate is: (a) an organization that is under common control, sharing a common majority or controlling owner, or common management; or (b) an organization that has a substantial ownership in, or is substantially owned by the other organization.
Teams must do the following to participate in the Hackathon:
- Register for the Hackathon on the Hackathon Website at http://cisco-meraki-hackathon-2020.devpost.com by clicking the “Register for this Hackathon” button. To complete registration, sign up to create a Devpost account, or log in with an existing Devpost account. There is no charge for creating a Devpost account. This will enable you to receive important updates and access the “Enter a Submission” page. Only one Devpost account created by a Team’s Representative is required per Team.
- Create a developer account on Cisco DevNet at https://developer.cisco.com/. There is no charge for creating a developer account or for using the Cisco Meraki developer tools required in the Hackathon. Only one Cisco DevNet account created by a Team’s Representative is required per Team.
- Visit the Resources page of the Hackathon Website and the Cisco Meraki Developer Hub page to learn more about the Cisco Meraki APIs, and how to get started.
- Build a working Cisco Meraki application, integration, or solution using Cisco Meraki APIs that fits into one (1) of the following categories: Retail/Hospitality, Smart Spaces, Healthcare/Manufacturing or IT Operations (each an “Application”). Further Application requirements are below.
- Submission Process:
- Create and submit a video using Vimeo or YouTube that meets the requirements described in Paragraph C below.
- Create and submit screenshots or photographs of the Application (in PDF format) that meet the requirements described in Paragraph C below.
- Complete and enter all of the required fields on the “Enter a Submission” page of the Hackathon Website during the Hackathon Submission Period (May 26, 2020 at 10:45am PST - May 28, 2020 at 10:45am PST) and follow the required drop down and open text boxes below:
- Select a theme from the dropdown
- Select a challenge from the dropdown
- Select technologies used from the dropdown
- Respond to the question “What does it do?” on how the Application is to be used
- Respond to the question “How the Application was built?” by describing the programming languages, storage or any additional relevant information pertaining to the Application that the Team would like to disclose
- Respond to the question “Challenges Faced” by sharing any challenges the team encountered while building the Application
- Once the above video, image, and Hackathon Website text submission requirements (collectively, the “Submission”) are complete, submit your Submission beforeMay 28, 2020 at 10:45am PST for Judges to begin reviewing.
All Submission materials must be in English or, if not in English, the Team must provide an English translation of the demonstration video, text description, and all other materials submitted.
(i) What to Create: Teams are required to create a working Cisco Meraki Application using at least one (1) API from the Cisco Meraki developer tools available at https://developer.cisco.com/meraki (each an “Application”) and one (1) Additional Developer Tool (defined below). Teams are encouraged to make varied and creative use of Cisco Meraki API endpoints and Additional Developer Tools to create their Application.
(ii) Integration of Additional Developer Tools: Teams are required to integrate at least one (1) of the following tools with their Application: Cisco AppDynamics APIs, Cisco Stealthwatch APIs, Cisco WebEx Teams APIs, Cisco Duo APIs, or Cisco Umbrella APIs or an Ecosystem Partner Listed Sponsor Application from those listed on the Hackathon Website at the beginning of the Hackathon Submission Period (each an “Additional Developer Tool”). Applications may integrate other APIs and data, provided the Team is authorized to use them.
(iii) Categories: Applications must be entered into only one (1) of the following categories (the “Categories”):
- Retail or Hospitality
- Smart Spaces
- Healthcare or Manufacturing
- IT Operations
As part of your Submission, you must select one (1) Category which best applies to your Solution. At any time, and in its sole discretion, the Poster will have the ability to re-assign a submitted Submission from one Category to another. Submissions in each Category are eligible for prizes. See Section 7 for prize details.
(iv) Functionality: The Application must be capable of being successfully installed and running consistently on the Platform for which it is intended, and must function as depicted in the video, text description, and screenshot images.
(v) Platforms: A submitted Application must run on at least one (1) of the following platforms (each a “Platform”):
- a smartphone or tablet (iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, or Kindle)
- a web browser (mobile or desktop)
- a desktop computer (Windows PC, Mac Desktop)
- other hardware (including, but not limited to, wearable technology, open source hardware, or proprietary hardware)
(vi) New & Existing: Applications must be either newly created by the Team or, if the Application existed prior to the Hackathon Submission Period, must have been substantially updated after the start of the Hackathon Submission Period. Teams will be required to explain updates made to an existing Application at the time of Submission. While Applications may have existed prior to the Hackathon, any Applications that have been selected as a winner in any other contest will be disqualified as a Submission.
(vii) Public Distribution: Teams may make their Application available to the public via a website or online store, but are not required to do so.
(viii) Multiple Submissions: Each Team may submit more than one (1) Submission, however, each Submission must be unique and substantially different from each of the Team’s other Submissions, as determined by the Poster and/or the Administrator.
(ix) Intellectual Property: Your Submission must: (a) be your Team’s original work product; (b) be solely owned by your Team, or the Partner represented by your Team, with no other person or entity having any right or interest in it; (c) not violate the intellectual property rights or other rights, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, patent, contract, and/or privacy rights, of any other person or entity; and (d) not include any commercial content that (i) promotes any product or service other than one integrated into the submitted Application which is owned or branded by Poster or the owner or brand of any integrated Additional Developer Tool, or (ii) disparages Poster, its affiliates, partners, customers, competitors or any third party, including Ecosystem Partner Listed Sponsors and the owners/brands of other Additional Developer Tools, in any way. A Team may contract with a third party for technical assistance to create the Submission provided the Submission components are solely the Team’s work product and the result of the Team’s ideas and creativity, and the Team owns all rights to them. A Team may submit a Submission that includes the use of open source software or hardware, provided the Team complies with applicable open source licenses and, as part of the Submission, creates software that enhances and builds upon the features and functionality included in the underlying open source product. By entering the Hackathon you represent, warrant, and agree that your Submission meets these requirements.
(x) Financial or Preferential Support: An Application must not have been developed or derived from an application developed with financial or preferential support from the Poster or Administrator. Such Applications include, but are not limited to, those that received funding or investment for their development, were developed under contract, or received a commercial license, from the Poster or Administrator any time prior to the end of Hackathon Submission Period. The Poster, at their sole discretion, may disqualify an Application, if awarding a prize to the Application would create a real or apparent conflict of interest. The foregoing is not intended to serve as any general limitation on use of the Meraki APIs or Additional Developer Tools described above.
Text Description, Image, Video, and Additional Submission Materials
(i) Text Description: The text description should clearly and concisely explain the features and functionality of your Application and what makes it unique.
- What does the Application do
- How was the Application built
- What challenges did the team face building the Application
(ii) Images: The image(s) must be photographs or screenshots of your working Application.
- PDF format
- Capture the Application in one or more still images
(iii) Video: The video portion of the Submission:
- must be less than seven (7) minutes;
- must include footage that clearly explains the Application’s features and functionality through a comprehensive demonstration;
- must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo, and a link to the video must be provided on the submission form on the Hackathon Website; and
- must not include third party trademarks, or copyrighted music or other material unless the Team has permission to use such material.
(iv) Additional Submission Materials: Teams are encouraged to submit varied forms of presentation and documentation to demonstrate their Application, including a Website, Blog post, or pitch deck.
Cisco Meraki, Director, Americas Channels + Distribution
Cisco Meraki, Sales Engineering, APJC
Cisco, Principal Architect: Programmability & Cloud
Cisco, Programmability Lead, EMEAR
Cisco Meraki, Solutions Architect
Cisco Meraki, Consulting Solutions Architect, Americas
Manager, Systems Engineering SOUTH - France, Italy & Spain, Cisco Meraki
Cisco Meraki, Service Provider Sales Engineering Manager
Peter Henry Andersen
CIsco Meraki, Manager Systems Engineering
Quality of the Idea
Is this a viable solution based on the challenge?
Did the solution use Meraki APIs and another technology? Partipartants are required to use at least 1 Meraki API and choose from one of the following: -Umbrella -WebEx Teams -AppD -Stealthwatch -PlaceOS -Purple -Jogogo -Local Measure -Nodle -Cloudi-Fi
The solution presented is something more than sample code previously created. Does it seem feasible for the team to have built this solution in 48 hours?
Value to the Persona
Does the idea solve the stakeholders’ problem? Are there advantages in their solution? Are there measurable or tangible benefits for the stakeholder(s)?
Potential Impact to the Stakeholder's Business
How can the solution improve the business? Is it easy to see an ROI?
Would this solution be viable in the market? Is this a real value-added benefit for the Partner/SP?